Friday, December 19, 2008

About Spanish Bar Cake...

Dad used to bring Spanish Bar Cake home from the A&P. I was recently reminded of this when I attended Sarah Jane Frankland Pillsbury's wedding. Her wedding cake was pretty fantastic! It had a fountain incorporated in the main part of the cake. With smaller cakes sitting all around the main part. The cakes were covered with fondant and fresh flowers. No fancy frosting flowers and garlands here! No white or yellow cake either. There was a variety of cakes and I am not sure what they all were. I do recall carrot cake and a very fudgy looking chocolate. Norma told me that Sarah Jane particularly wanted a traditional British wedding cake included. Norma made the cake herself. It was a fruit cake full of raisens, moist and delicious. Norma started it about a month before the wedding and treated it with brandy to keep it moist. I had to have a taste even though cake of any sort is not on my diet. It reminded me of Dad's Spanish Bar Cake. Then I recalled my aunts at a family reunion talking about the wonderful fruit cake that their dad [my grandfather Imm] used to make every Christmas. Grandpa Imm was an immigrant from England. I wonder if his fruit cake was like the wedding fruit cake that Norma made? I will probably never know for sure. The older aunts and uncles are all gone now. Only the younger ones remain. I will ask them about it, but they may not remember it as well as their older siblings...